Re: Critique Was : RE: TR6 - Electrical Questions

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Critique Was : RE: TR6 - Electrical Questions
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 18:12:22 EDT
In a message dated 4/22/99 2:44:21 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
randallyoung@earthlink.net writes:

> Your web page could easily be mis-interpreted to imply that an ordinary
>  SPDT switch is adequate to control a pair of horns without a relay.  I'm
>  sure you realize this isn't true ...

Randall,

I didn't intend to give that impression. I specifically added a relay for the
new horns, as I assumed they would be drawing more current than the existing
horns. But, I did make one error in the second part -- which has now been
corrected -- in that I forgot to mention that the selector switch would need
to be rated to carry the full current of the existing horns. I don't think
there will be any problem with this, as the horn button switch is not exactly
a high current type switch, yet it lasts for a long time, and it actually
switches the horn circuit live. The selector switch will almost always switch
a dry load, which is very easy on the contacts.

If you can point me to where I gave the wrong impression, I will immediately
correct it. Sometimes the author can be too close to the subject to see this
sort of things clearly.

>  My suggestion for people without original horn relays (like my TR3A) would
>  be to add one.  However, I wouldn't use a 'driving light' relay, since
>  horns (especially older ones) are a nasty inductive load with a high peak
>  current (when the points are closed).  Any auto store should be able to
>  order a 'universal' horn relay, or a creative soul should be able to find
>  one on a junked car.

I have been using one of them for several years now for the horn, with no
problem. For the new horn, the relay will be operating a motor (air
compressor), which won't have quite the inductive kickback of the horn.
You're right, the horns do have a nasty bite when switched off.

>  Also, I believe Radio Shack sells fairly "automotive" looking SPDT
>  switches, both rocker and toggle, and is pretty ubiquitous, at least in
the
>  US.

You may be right, it's been a while since I looked for one there. I seem to
recall that I didn't find one I liked the last time I did, but it's still
worth a try.

>  Other than that, Nice Page !

Thanks.

Dan Masters,