Re: TR6 Rocker cover problem

To: Cameron Greig <cameron@enterprise.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Rocker cover problem
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 08:49:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
< snip >
>The rocker cover is one of racetoration alloy
>once,and has a breather on the back right hand side.A present a tube
>extends from the breather down along the side of the gearbox and runs
>along the chassis.The pipe must be 3feet long.
< snip >

>Any comments ?
*************************
Well, ya left it open with that remark :-)- Draught tubes (or draft tubes)
as normally installed on vehicles way before emission controls were
implemented, typically went straight down and ended *just* below the frame
directly in the air stream.  These had an angled cut facing rearward to
create a "low pressure" area just behind the tube opening to draw the
vapors out.  The idea is to prevent pressure buildup by creating a partial
vacuum to extract the vapors and create a slightly less than atmospheric
condition in the engine itself which, by the way, also helps the oil seals
do there job.  The cap on that particular alloy cover (if it's anything
like the one on my GT6) is designed to work with a negative pressure closed
crankcase type system.
With the pipe connected as described, the engine needs to 'pump' the vapors
out creating a positive pressure inside the engine leading to the condition
you have now- Anyway, that's my conclusion on the condition you've described.