RE: ZS carb question! - long-winded response, part 2

To: "Spitfires@autox.team.net" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ZS carb question! - long-winded response, part 2
From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 09:29:48 -0700
Dan :

I'll give you 99.9% correct !

My only quibble is with "... the top of the piston is immediately exposed
to the full vacumm of the engine intake".  Actually, the piston responds
primarily to the vacuum (depression) created by the venturi.  What little
vacuum there is behind the venturi affects both the top and bottom of the
piston, thereby balancing out.  Even with the damper piston removed, there
is a small lag between the throttle plate opening and the piston rising.

Another reason to overfill the damper on SUs (and IMO the reason the
factory instructed us to) is to lube the center shaft where it rides
against the housing.  Every 3K miles should be plenty though !

Randall