TR4 Head Problem - Have a Plan

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Head Problem - Have a Plan
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:10:12 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

Thanks to everybody who came back with advice.  I have reconciled myself to
do a correct job of it and be patient.  I will do some of the other things
out of sequence.

I have decided to wait on the engine completion until the machine shop
owner returns.  Everyone thinks he botched the job and should correct it.
Many have suggested that the exhaust valve installed too deep will cause
engine performance problems or valve life problems.

If I can't get the head fixed and I'm stuck... you guys have supplied me
with a couple of sensible work arounds.

I now have the procedure to shorten my push rods which have press fit ends
and a couple of sources for shorter pushrods.  Another thing to do in
combination is to shim the rocker posts up a little.  This might give me a
problem with the intake valves if I get too high.

I looked at the exhaust valve stems and there is not enough to grind and
listers recommend against this fix and the grinding of the under part of
the rocker on the adjuster screw end.

Thanks... this would be so much harder if I didn't have you guys to rely
on.

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com