Any Bleeding Suggestions-it runs

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, 2000 Register <2000-register@autox.team.net>
Subject: Any Bleeding Suggestions-it runs
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:30:43 +0100
Hi, All,

Many thanks for all the replies,

I charged two batteries overnight, whipped out the plugs, disconnected
the coil feed and put #1 injector into a glass jar so I could see what
was happening. After half a dozen turns, the injectors started spitting.
The remaining inlets smelt of fuel so I *was* being impatient.

So, plugs back in, connect it all up and it started. And what's more, no
leaks :-)
The bad news is that it still runs like a dog. Has a word with Pumford's
(again being remarkably helpful) who confirmed the MU timing is right.
However, my car has shiny silver calibration springs which are (a)
aftermarket or (b) TR5-the 132 bhp PI should have blue springs. . Also,
the vac diaphragm can be turned on its centre mount and is not holding
vacuum for long, so I haven't finished yet.

Still, it runs and I'm chuffed about that. The symptom is rough running,
very like a rich mixture, including optional vibro-massage in the
driving sets, from the radically shuddering block. Plan B is to take the
car for its impending MOT test-no matter how it runs-and work from
there. I'll get an emmissions figure while I'm at it.

Just one little tip for anyone thinking of replacing the throttle
countershaft bearings. Mine are just that shade too tight, stopping the
return spring from closing the throttle. This can be cured by a touch of
reaming.

When the PI is finally sorted, I'll relate the entire tale-it's not so
scary to do.

Cheers,

Dave Hill