Dealing with rimmers

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dealing with rimmers
From: Roger Elliott <relliott@cjnetworks.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 23:56:56 -0500

I purchased a new top from England about three years ago and was charged
import
duty by UPS separately.  This year I have ordered from Rimmers twice, &
Prestige
Interiors once and wasn't been charged the import duty.  I asked the UPS
man
about it - he said it was his understanding that if the papers were
filled out
correctly there wasn't duty when being shipped to an individual.

Shipping can be expensive.  I bought a stainless steel header from
Rimmers - the
shipping added $70 to the cost.

Roger Elliott

"Kirby T. Kenyon" wrote:

> I bought from Rimmer last year.  UPS charged the duty for the import
and
> sent me a separate bill.  I was unaware of the duty until that time.
Duty
> was based on price and item descriptions, about 3% on the average.
>
> At 07:55 AM 4/14/99 -0800, Ross Vincenti wrote:
> >
> >George wrote:
> >I've got a rather large collection of parts I need to order for my
Stag.
> >How do people in the USA go about dealing with Rimmer Brothers?
> >I've noticed that their web site has some type of online ordering.
Has
> >anyone tried it?
> >What's been your experience on shipping as far as cost, duty paid,
and
> >delivery time?
> >George Richardson
> >==================
> >George - About 2 years ago I order a whole lotta stuff from Rimmer
and
> from John
> >Kipping Spares (also in the UK).  Both were excellent and it was very

> easy.  I
> >called and ordered catelogs first, then made a list of every part I
> needed, then
> >faxed it over with my Visa card number.  Since my orders were both
over
> >US$1,000, they paid for the shipping(!)  Everything arrived safe and
in good
> >condition.
> >
> >You don't have to pay VAT, and moreover, I was not charged any duty
(as
> far as I
> >could tell - I don't think the US imposes any duty on auto parts from
GB,