Re: Weber Jetting Suggestions (a bit long)

To: spitlist@gte.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weber Jetting Suggestions (a bit long)
From: CaptGonzo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 16:31:35 EDT
Hi Joe,

The best Weber source I have found is Pierce Manifold in Gilroy, CA. (see the
monster list) Give them a call and they can set you up. But you should get
the essential books on the topic. Weber Carburetors by Pat Braden and the
other book of the same title by John Passini. At least a colortune is
essential. Some sort of realtime mixture meter (like a Gastester or a
Halmeter AF) would be best. I am CONVINCED that 90% of all problems people
have with Webers is from not setting them up right in the first place and too
much fuel pressure. 3.5psi MAX !! Measure it with an accurate gauge.

The most important thing to get right, right from the start is the correct
size main venturi (choke). My chart from the Passini book shows 28-30mm for a
1300cc engine with a 6000 rpm power peak. To get a starting rough main jet
size multiply the main venturi size by 4.

Even better, here's some complete suggestions.

-------         40DCOE x 2 (1300 Spit)----
choke   (main venturi)                  28              30
aux. venturi                                            4.5     4.5
emulsion tube                                   F16     F16
main jet                                                        115     115
air corrector                                           165     155
idle jet                                                        45F8    45F8
pump                                                            35
35
back bleed                                              0               0

And also:

Recently I obtained a set of Webers off a Spitfire-here's what I found:

Main Venturi    30
Aux Venturi             3.5
E Tubes                 F16
Main Jet                        115
AC                              165
Idle Jet                        45F9
Pump Jets               40
Starter Jet             100F5

I'm converting my TR4A this fall (a prelude to EFI) and eventually my
Spitfire project car will have the Webers. Given the cost of converting these
days you might want to consider EFI.... a complete set of the above pieces
for two carbs costs about $275 (non-returnable). TWM makes throttle bodies
that bolt right on to the Cannon manifold and a Simple Digital Systems
controller box ought to have you up and running for $1500 or so.

Then again, used SU HS4's work pretty good too, and you could buy another
Spit with what's left over.... ;>)

GOOD LUCK!

Chris Lillja
'66 TR4A