Re: FW: PRICE OF GAS

To: "Bowen, Patrick A. RP2" <jak0pab@jak10.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: FW: PRICE OF GAS
From: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 21:19:49 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "list, triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Hi Patrick and list,

I'm a bit behind on my mail but I think you may find this interesting if
you're "not  really"an accounting or economics kinda guy or gal... I think
you will understand more than you realize:

There are two major types of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
in allowed:   FIFO (first in first out) and LIFO (last in first out).
this is a measure of cost against sale price for any goods.  A retailer just
loves to sell you the oldest goods at the highest price (assuming goods
become more expensive over time, this would be Last In First Out (LIFO) on
the income side and First in First Out (FIFO) on the expense side.  Mixing
of the accounting styles is strictly forbidden by tax law and GAAP.  So....

We are dealing with unadulterated GREED here.  The retail side says, "it's
summer (or something else)...it's time for a price hike!  And the Oligopoly
(a market controlled by "few" players as opposed to monopoly which is one
player as opposed to free competition which is many players with no barriers
to entry) goes along with it.  Prices rise everywhere, and the oil in the
"system" just became 10% more valuable.

All this means is that, when sold,  there is that much more profit to "pay
tax" on.

Of course,  we know oil companies sponsor many major world class sporting
events, arts, culture, science, etc., and that is removed from income before
the "profit" is calculated.  Somebody in that company writes the budget, and
therefore somebody knows what the anticipated revenues should be AT ANY
POINT IN THE YEAR.

One interesting point to make about our recent consumption squaks on this
list is this:  We are a small minority among gas consumers.  Generally, fuel
consumption is 10% higher in the "severe conditions" such as sleet or snow.
Cars use more energy to warm up, etc.  If, (and only if) more people drive
consistent mileage (no sports car people here, just "Joe lunchbucket", OK?),
would it not seem reasonable that with less demand that the price should be
higher in the summer?!?!?

Now the counterpoint, just to be even.  Argue that given a forecast demand
for the year, the SUMMER prices are correct.  Perhaps winter prices are
lower on purpose, either to adjust  our demand (higher) or to reduce income
for the purposes of tax (shoudda sponsored VTR <G>).  The oil execs might
argue they are "reducing winter price" not "Raising summer price".

See ho easy it is to spin "facts"?  And I don;t even get paid to do this.
But, my University economics statistics, marketing, and accounting courses
tell me that "what is, is, because of who has the power at that time".

I have just completed my Certified Financial Planner designation.  As such,
I "might" council ALL of you to go buy shares in the "oil companies"  and
then be happy when profits rise!

There. See.  There IS an answer.  (Damn, that makes me wish my Honda was a
gas guzzler)

Dave T
Winnipeg