F-16 driver's TR3

To: Greg Hutmacher <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: F-16 driver's TR3
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 1999 08:08:59 -0400
Cc: TR List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Greg Hutmacher writes:

>I concur with your decision. Also, beware, there is a strong emotion, once
>you've invested hundreds of $ in airfare and time to go see the car, to
>close the deal even if you have reservations about it... <SNIP>

This remindes me of the time a local (St. Louis) fellow took his Austin
Healey
to California for a prospective buyer to view.  The buyer forwarded some
cash
to cover travel expenses and Mike told the buyer what he wanted for the car
and that there was to be no haggling.

At the designated rendezvous the prospective buyer brought an "expert" who
proceeded to evaluate the cars and come up with reasons the car was not
worth the asking price.  Mike said "I told you no haggling", got in the car
and
drove back to St. Louis.  End of story.  He eventually sold the car
locally.

The moral of the story is it is best to negotiate from a position of
strenght and
the strongest position is to not be in a position where you HAVE to do the
deal.
This may be hindsight but buy a round trip ticket and let the seller
convince you
not to use the return leg. (Round trip tickets can be cheaper than one way
but
you have to spend the week) ;-)

Dave Massey
St. Louis, MO