Dual Reservoir Seepage

To: "Auto X Team Net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Dual Reservoir Seepage
From: "Jeff Burns" <jburn@gte.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 05:46:11 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "Spitheads" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>
On my 76 Spit my brake master cylinder is the dual type. The Haynes and
Bentley shop manuals show the reservoir to cylinder body seals installed
with the larger diameter upwards. The thickness of this part of the seal
prohibits the reservoir from being close enough to the cylinder body to
insert the retaining pins. I have found that installing the seals with the
larger diameter downwards (it's a bit tricky getting them into the cylinder
body) allows for the reservoir to rest close enough to the cylinder body for
pin installation. However this (apparently) has caused minor seepage. Not
enough to create a major leak but enough to be unacceptable. My next effort
will be trimming the seals to fit how the manuals show (with the possible
addition of some sealant on the seal-to-reservoir surfaces).
TIA for any ideas.
Jeff Burns
76 Spitfire FM 46763 UO
http://home1.gte.net/jburn/index.htm