TR4A Leg Room

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4A Leg Room
From: Jerry Oliver <slantws@home.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 14:42:00 -0700
I'm in the middle if finishing the restorations of my 66 TR4A, and this
morning I installed the new  reproduction seat guides on the new carpet.
One major difference is that the reproduction latch handle has three
prongs to go into the square notches in the guide. This design, prevents
the use of the most rearward notch. The original had only one prong and
would notch in the last square. There are dimples stamped into the guide
that act as stops. I considered modifying these and the latch handle to
allow it to go back to the last notch. However, I then put the bare seat
frame in the car, and it was apparent that the limiting factor is the
wheel arch. There are two holes in the seat bracket, allowing a slight
bit of upward and rearward adjustment. Using the hole that would place
the seat the most rearward, the bare seat frame barely clears the wheel
arch, even without the fabric and padding on the seast frame. If after
final installation, the seat has some space between the wheel arch and
the seat back, I think a small bracket made to go between the attachment
point on the seat guide and the attachment point on the seat frame would
be the less obtrusive method of obtaining the furthest rearward
position. Jerry.