THANKS Re:[TR6] thrust washers, cam question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: THANKS Re:[TR6] thrust washers, cam question
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 09:26:49 -0400
Thanks for all the informative replies regarding my oil pan sealing and cam
questions.

The recommendations for a spray-on or brush-on Hylomar-type sealant edged
out the form-a-gasket, silicone type. (I went with what I had, which was
Permatex Ultra Blue gasket former/sealer.  No leaks so far).  I did manage
to make one assembly error: Instead of putting the 4 longer bolts at the
rear of the engine, I put them at the "corners" of the pan, where they had
been.  Didn't realize my error until later, and figure since there are no
leaks, and half of them are in the right place, I'd better not tempt fate.
I also thought the torque value of 15-20 ft-lb was awfully high for those
little 5/16 UNF bolts, but cranked them down anyway.

I also received many replies indicating (either from personal experience or
with citations from various manuals) that the cam is indeed replaceable
without removing the engine.

Thanks.
---
Ted Stevens     stevens@erols.com