Re: Trailing arm Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Trailing arm Question
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 17:01:25 -0700
Patrick wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>    I'm in the process of installing my rear suspension. Can anyone tell me
>how to determine how many shims I need for the trailing arms?

Patrick:

Each individual car is likely to require a different number of shims for
each bracket due to the manufacturing tolerances (or lack thereof).  In my
opinion, you'll just need to drive the thing down to an alignment shop and
have them make the necessary adjustments.  Be sure to provide them with a
reasonable number of spare shims.

Just for your information, on the right side I've got 5 shims under the
outboard bracket and 4 under the inboard bracket.  On the left side, I've
got 4 outboard and 3 inboard.  I've got the rear aligned to the factory
specs.

I think I'd install everything with 2 shims all around, and then maybe
provide the alignment shop with 10 extra shims to play with.  You'll
probably have a small handful of shims left over, but you'll be covered and
the shims are pretty cheap.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6