spitfire school auction

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: spitfire school auction
From: "Dr. Robert Carley" <rcarley@uoguelph.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 13:41:39 -0400
I live in a rural area west of Toronto (Canada).  While browsing though
a local newspaper last night, there was an article about a high school
that was auctioning off a restored Spitfire.  Apparently the shop
teacher and his students had been working on this car for a few years,
and now the school is selling tickets to raise money.   The teacher
estimated that about 10,000 dollars had been spent on it - money that
was loaned by some other teachers out of their own pockets until the car
is to be auctioned off.

I thought it was a good example of how young people can experience an
LBC; of how a small town high school can raise money; and also of how
dedicated teachers can get around funding cutbacks to raise money for
their school.  Some of the local community clubs are involved, and from
the article, it seems everyone is quite proud of this old Spit and their
participation in this project.

Tickets are $5.00, and I just might buy one.

Robert Carley
73 TR6
near Guelph, Ontario.