Re: TR6 electrical glitch

To: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 electrical glitch
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 22:40:02 +1000
At 9:53 PM +1000 5/4/99, Radley, Jack wrote:
>I was out in my TR6 yesterday testing out my newly installed radiator.
>Everything was fine.  When I got home, though, with the engine running I
>popped the hood to take a look for leaks, etc. then went back to look at
>the temp gauge.  The temp and fuel gauges were suddenly dead.  I tried
>other electricals and the wipers were dead.  I shut the engine down and
>checked the fuses.  All were intact but in checking them I spun them in
>their mounts.  When I started the engine back up, everything came back
>to life.  Could the fuses not be making contact - even though they were
>securely snapped in?
>
>Any ideas?

I have had tubular glass fuses fail or become intermittant through the fuse
wire disconnecting from the end cap.  It is impossible to see in most cases
and is more likely than the end cap not making contact with the fuse holder.

I suggest that you install three new fuses and see if the problem goes
away.  If it does, you have found the problem and if it does not, you are
down the cost of three fuses (which will then become spares).  You could
also try gently cleaning the fuse holders and retensioning the clips.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U