Re: J type ???

To: "George Re" <mgman72@ibm.net>, "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: J type ???
From: Trevor Jordan <tjordan@vic.bigpond.net.au>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 11:56:34 +1000
At 9:00 PM +1000 4/4/99, George Re wrote:
> [...]

George

NB I do not have an OD, so this is all from manuals, etc.

The circuit diagram is in the repair operations manual (presumably also in
the Bentley reprint) and in the Haynes manual.  It looks to be for the A
type OD as it provides for either the 2nd gear or the 3rd/4th gear switch
to be ON.

The correct wiring for the J type OD appears to be in the poster entitled
"Triumph Late TR-6 1974 (1975) Electrical System" which is available from
Moss.  This is a very useful item to have on the garage wall, but the OD
wiring is extremely simple series connection (one straight run with no
branching).

My interpretation of the circuit diagram:

There is a double bullet coupler in a green wire in the main wiring loom.
Replace this with a 4-way bullet coupler.

Then run a green wire from the main loom to a double bullet coupler, run a
yellow/green wire from the coupler to the OD selector switch.

Run a blue wire from the other side of the switch to a double bullet
coupler, then run a yellow/green wire to another double bullet coupler and
then more yellow/green to the inhibitor switch.

Run a yellow/purple from the other side of the inhibitor switch to the OD
solenoid.  Earth the other side of the solenoid.

I cannot explain the need for all the bullet couplers and the changes in
colour.  It may make more sense with car and wiring in front of you.

In summary the wiring is electrically very simple: start from a green wire
on the main loom. Connect through the OD selector switch, then through the
inhibitor switch, then through the solenoid, then to earth.

Trevor Jordan
74 TR6 CF29281U