Vendor Blasting, Gouging, and Excessive Shipping Charges

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vendor Blasting, Gouging, and Excessive Shipping Charges
From: "Radley, Jack" <JackR@SHRIVERCO.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 10:13:43 -0500 charset="iso-8859-1"
I may have inadvertently contributed to the start of some of this
controversy by inquiring about VB's statement to me that UPS was getting
out of the home delivery market.  I had not heard that before.  I wasn't
bitching, just trying to get some info on the UPS story.

Later, it seems that a post was made about excessive charges for plastic
snaps.

What happened next - is still unfolding........

My attitude is that if you are going to watch your pennies, you have to
be smart about how you spend them.  If I am going to make a small
purchase, I try to look for other things I need and then buy it all at
the same time.  I have needed light bulbs for a while and have a loose
choke knob.  I waited to buy these items along with the radiator I wound
up ordering and it all came in the same box.  I haven't quantified this
but I don't think the bulbs and knob cost extra to have shipped to me.

The argument about gouging, etc. runs parallel to the argument about car
dealers making so much money on the sale of cars, etc.  The thing about
the car dealer argument (and the TRF, VB & Moss argument as well) is
that if they don't make a profit they won't be in business to service
your car when you need it.  Everyone needs to make enough to profit and
stay in business.  Without profits going to the big 3, your LBC is going
to become extinct.

My experience with this list and my TR6 has been limited, but I
purchased a 23 year old TR6 in large part because of the availability of
parts.  If you want to be gouged, try to get parts for a marque that is
not supported as well as the TR6, etc. by the  big 3 and their smaller
counterparts.  In the long run, and in the big picture, I think we are
all getting our money's worth.
That's not to say that the "whiners" don't help to keep the marketplace
honest.

The psychology of the LBC owners on this list is interesting.  No one
wants to spend very much to buy a LBC, some spend relative fortunes to
restore cars that are never worth what has gone into them, and others
seem to love their cars - coat hanger wire, duct tape and all.

Me, I'm just having fun with the car.

No financial interest in anything but CF57991U, and no intent to offend.
Just my opinion.

Jack Radley
76TR6