RE: Speedo problem and repair

To: Tom Vaughn <phoneman@adsnet.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedo problem and repair
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 08:50:21 -0500
Tom,

I have a little experience with speedos.  I recently had to do a lot of work
on mine.  It took a few speedos to do the work.  You can do a all
of the work yourself if you want to.  You only need to send it out
if something is actually BROKEN.  Even then it is cheaper to get
another speedo (even a broken one) and use it as a parts donor.  I did
that in different ways twice!  (needed to fix one speedo, but really
wanted to get one of a different calibration)

I am preparing a dissertation on speedo testing and repair for the local club.
(and the VTR should anybody be interested....)

It may be the cable.  Do you have a spare cable around?  If so
it is possible to check your speedo.  If not, you can temproarily
remove your tach cable and use it as a test cable.

Remove the speedo.

If you have it, attach the test (tach) cable to the speedo and the other end to
reversible drill.  Run the drill in reverse.  You need about 1200 rpm.  This
will correlate with about 55-65 mph.  Does the speedo still jump around and
read 40% high?

If not, it may well be a problem with your speedo cable.  Remove it and lube it
with gear oil or white lithium grease and reinstall everything.

You may find that it stops jumping but remains 40% off.  If so, you need to
recalibrate the speedo.  Easy to do.  Let me know and I will tell you 2 methods.

If the speedo is still jumping, then it needs to be dismantled a little and
lubed.
I will tell you how to do this too, if you want.

-Tony