Re: Exhausted (not yet!)

To: GuyotLeonF@aol.com
Subject: Re: Exhausted (not yet!)
From: "Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 12:50:32 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 GuyotLeonF@aol.com wrote:

>    this infomercial was brought to you by Sunderland industries.....:-) >>
>
> Johnny, I am getting a bit fed-up with your constantly bashing TSSC.

  Don't you like the Simpsons? I don't know if it really represents real
life or not......Smithers release the hounds...:-)

> Do you really think that the Triumph scene would be enhanced if TSSC and
> perhaps the traders and/or Triumph Clubs, (that you don't appreciate), didn't
> exist at all ?

 The triumph scene would be enhanced if Triumph tune didn't sell total
crap. you mentioned this yourself and even quoted the owner as saying
he's happy to sell crap if we buy it? That sort of sales pitch enhances
exactly f*ck all! I don't have a grudge with everyone in the Triumph
scene, only those who I don't think are helping.

> I think you are doing a grave disservice to many TSSC members and Triumph
> enthusiasts (past and present) who give of their free time willingly and
> without payment for the cause ?

What they do with their spare time is their own issue! The only
enthusiasts i don't want much to do with are those who don't drive their
cars and think they have some kind of Aston Zagato when it's not.

> FWIW, Bill Sunderland who is Mangaging Director of the TSSC is paid a wage by
> the TSSC, he doesn't own it like Roche Bentley owns the MGOC.
> He happens to work hard, as do the other seven TSSC staff, I know, I have been
> at the Club Offices and seen them during the week.

 What roche bentley does with the MGOC doesn't bother me a bit! I'm
concerned that the "premier' triumph club is taking certain routes I
don't like and seems to want to represent me in a way I don't like.

The whole TSSC obsession with concours bores me. I bought my triumph to
drive, not throw mega-bucks at it and then drive it twice a year.
Bill recently appeared in the local paper with a GT6 quoted as being
worth over £20,000, come on do me a favour! The GT6 is a great car but
NEVER worth 20 grand! Thats what the TSSC appears to be all about,
making triumphs so valuable no 'normal' person can afford one. I bought
triumph as it was cheap, had character and wasn't too fazed by the
modern road. I was also attracted by Rich and his mates who had cars
bordering from scrappy to flash but who enjoyed their cars for what they
did, that was driving in a fun way. NOT parking them in a field showing
off the chromed dash-pot covers.

Also the TSSC continue on about their owning the oldest Herald, i think
we know that they don't. The club should be there to support projects
that preserve the Triumph history. The resto of the Lenham car is
ludicrous! The context of the scheme is that the original car from the
brochure is being restored, cobblers! The brochure car is a MKI and the
resto project is a MKIII spit with the same reg. What's being restored
here, a 30 year old fibre glass roof! The original engine, bonnet and
wheels are gone, the interiors shot to bits, whats being preserved
exactly, the log book and registration! And of course the afore
mentioned plastic roof, not made by triumph!

You yourself have mentioned the GT6R and it's eventual demise at the
hands of theiving gypsies, if that was in the last 18 years why didn't
you tell the TSSC and why wasn't anything done? rather than restore half
a copy the real thing could have been done! Assuming of course your
source wasn't lying to you Leon.

 I will be happy to get involved in a Triumph club when i have the time
and money to do so. I would rather be a triumph enthusiast by dint of
driving one everyday than an enthusiast by being in a club, it is about
the cars after all. When my finances permit both, rock n' roll!

See you at stoneleigh, Johnny '70 Viterald