re: TR4 tire recommendations sought

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4 tire recommendations sought
From: JoEllisTR3@aol.com
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:25:51 EST
Dean,
I put Dunlop SP4N tires on my '62 TR3B in 1995 and they perform well under
brisk driving. I have the stock steel wheels. The tire size is 165 SR15 (rim
4.5, section width 6.5, overall tire diameter 25.4, static loaded radius 11.7,
rolling circumerence 77.2, rev/mile 821, tread width 4.4, tire weight 18.0,
tread depth 10/32). This tire is an all-weather steel belted radial with a
40,000 mile limited treadwear warranty. There are two full-width steel belts.

I drive the car in chilly to hot weather conditions, mostly on dry pavement.
When caught in occasional wet weather, the tires held the road quite nicely.
The tread pattern only gives slightly more noise than the old Pirelli radials
that I had on the car before. If Pirelli still made a tire for the car, I
would have bought Pirellis, since they provided more warning before letting go
under tight cornering than the steel belted Dunlops. However, I'm quite happy
with the Dunlops. I really don't notice any difference in the ultimate
cornering stick between the Pirellis and the Dunlops (perhaps just because the
Pirellis were quite old!). If you want the car to behave under any conditions,
I highly recommend the Dunlops. I don't know what the current designations are
- mine are the 1995 tires.

If you want to run larger wheels, try TR6 rims with 205, or a little larger.
The TR6 rims have enough of an offset to allow for larger width tires. Just be
sure you have full cornering clearances inside and out...and take pity on your
spindles!

Good luck and happy motoring!
Joanna Ellis
'62 TR3B TCF36L, 2138cc