Re: Cheesy parts crusade - Corroded rear view mirror

To: jfcowan@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Cheesy parts crusade - Corroded rear view mirror
From: KTRIUMPH@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 19:37:15 EST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 1/27/99 1:33:34 PM EST, jfcowan@earthlink.net writes:

<<  I bought rear view mirrors for my TR-3A from TRF two years ago. Within
 months, the front of the mirrors were covered with rust.  When I tried to
 adjust one mirror last week, I snapped it off at the top of the stem and
 then noticed that the stem, too, was corroded.  There is no other
 conclusion than that this part is defective in design.
    I don't blame TRF - the same mirror is available from Moss and BV.  The
 solution is for the vendors to work with suppliers to produce good parts -
 in this case, a stainless steel mirror.  But, TRF sold 39 of these last
 year and no one else complained.
    When we get parts that are obviously badly designed or manufactured, we
 need to complain to the vendor.
    Does anyone else have bad part stories.  I have two others, but will
 post them later.
 John Cowan >>

All (or most all) the new chrome parts are now made overseas and the chrome
plating is nowhere near original quality. I have bumper over-riders less than
a year old looking worse than 30 - 40 year old pieces. The only solution is to
find a good chrome plating shop and have the new items replated. Or just keep
replacing the stuff as it goes bad. A good plating job is a lot more $ than
new parts, and not all are that much better than the overseas platers.
Recommend you look around - checking with people in your TR club is a good
place to start - and get the bumpers and such done yourself. Mirrors were
always die-cast aluminium and will not hold up that well anyway. But mirrors
are cheap and easy to replace.
I doubt that complaining to the "big 3" will bring any results. Triumph people
are basically cheap and won't stand for the extra $.
IMHO

Ken Nuelle
58 TR3A
62 TR3B
64 TR4
All in various stages of chrome replacement!