Re: Cheesy parts crusade

To: dncullig@us.ibm.com
Subject: Re: Cheesy parts crusade
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 14:32:38 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

dncullig@us.ibm.com wrote:

>     If you think this is a problem for the backyard mechanic, think of what
> it's like for the professional - a customer entrusts him with their car, he
> buys parts from  (supposedly) reliable suppliers, puts them on the
> customer's car and charges him for the part and the labor.  Then the part
> breaks.  The customer's first stop is NOT Moss Motors or TRF or VB  - it's
> the mechanic!  He's now expected to make good on his repairs.  My
> brother-in-law, a professional restorer of British cars, has had this
> happen with increasing frequency.  The really painful part is, no matter
> how much or how loud he complains, THEY DO NOTHING.  Oh sure, they'll give
> him his money back for the parts, but he ends up eating the cost of the
> labor for taking out the crappy parts and putting in replacements (and
> occasionally the increased cost of the replacement parts).

Dennis,
Those mechanics may whine and complain about those "defective" parts,
but trust me on this, they are well compensated for their additional
labor in the $65/hour labor rates they charged to install them the first
time and the horrendous markup they charge on parts.  Don't get me wrong
I fully agree with their charging those rates if the market will bear
it.  Their services are necessary for keeping our cars running.  But as
with computers, the manufacturers of defective parts will not be allowed
to remain in business if they are unconcerned about the quality of what
they sell.   It is up to us and this type of forum to keep those
manufacturers honest by revealing the quality to unsuspecting buyers.

Stepping down from soap box,
Joe Curry

--
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer