TR6 comp ratio question

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 comp ratio question
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:43:11 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
I  have a completely stock TR6 engine with relatively low (53K) miles on it
and strong compression and oil pressure.  Its only flaws are some oil leaks.
I am considering pulling the head and having it milled down to achieve 9.5:1
comp ratio but am not ready to rebuild the lower engine.  Here's my
question:  If I do the head mods without doing anything with the cam right
now, will I achieve any performance gain or will it merely cause
pre-detonation? Is it possible and/or wise to install a new cam without
pulling and rebuilding the lower engine? And if I don't change the cam at
the same time as the head, should I go ahead and install the valve springs
that are intended for the more aggressive cam? I eventually plan to rebuild
the lower engine and I plan on going with a little more aggressive cam - not
a radical cam. Appreciate any info.  Regards, Greg
76 TR6 (completely stock for now)
68 MGB/GT (completely disassembled for now)