RE: Name Dropper

To: "'Joe Curry'" <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: RE: Name Dropper
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:53:56 -0600
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Vintage-Race List'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Joe Curry wrote:

> The reason I bring up "The Pink Lady", is because in thumbing through a
> few issues of Corvette Quarterly, there was an article on her.  What
> caught my eye is a somewhat older picture of her sitting behind the
> wheel of a (probably pink, it was a B/W photo) TR3 number 23.
>
> The article is of course slanted toward Corvettes and makes no mention
> of her racing any Triumphs, but does say that she has raced on courses
> from Sebring to Brands Hatch.  She was the first woman to win an SCCA
> national championship in 1963 driving an . . . Austin Healey Sprite.

The Pink Lady was one of several pioneering race drivers of the distaff
persuasion. Someone on the Vintage-Race or Triumph list recently recommended
an anthology of articles written for Autoweek by Denise McCluggage, "By
Brooks Too Broad for Leaping".

My thanks to whoever it was that made the recommendation - I got the book
and it's an absolutely delightful collection of memories about racing, race
drivers and the racing "scene" of the 1950's and 60's.

Denise and Steve McQueen . . . who knew?

Jim Hill
SpyderWeb Racing
Madison WI