Re: American Racing Libre Wheels??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: American Racing Libre Wheels??
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 21:41:36 -0800
Rich wrote:

>I have a chance to buy a set of these wheels.  I haven't seen them, and I have
>only a vague idea what they look like.  Can anyone point me to a web page
>where I might get a look?  The wheels I am interested in are 15" diameter, and
>were offered in the early 70's.
>
>Anyone have these wheels on their car?  How do you like them?

I have taken photos of various interesting wheels, including what I
understand to be the "Libre" wheels, American Racing "Silverstone",
"LeMans" and various others.  If you'd like me to send a JPEG to you
direct, I will.  The Libre wheels, as I know them, are a four-spoke wheel.
The spokes are fairly fat, and are roughly the same width at either end of
each spoke, but fatter in the middle.  Very common on Datsun 510s 240Zs and
so forth.

I have three of the ARE "LeMans" wheels, and I'm wondering if this isn't
what you're actually getting, as I've seen a number of TR6s wearing these
wheels.  In fact, the "LeMans" wheels (that's what I've been told that
they're called) are the ones pictured on the race-prepped TR6 in the front
of Kastner's comp manual.  As I remember, you can't see much of them in
that particular photo.  The LeMans wheels are also of the four-spoke
variety, but the shape of the spokes is totally different.  The spokes are
fattest at the center and taper continuously down to a narrow union with
the rim.  I have been looking for a fourth one of these for about 10 years
now!!!

Anyway, I love either wheel.  Particularly the LeMans, since apparently
Kastner used them.  I really wish I could complete my set so that I could
actually put them on the car!!  These things have been sitting around my
garage, neatly stacked, for all that time!  What a shame.  Can anybody help
me out?

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6