Spice Girls/The Who

To: "'Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver'" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>
Subject: Spice Girls/The Who
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 11:49:55 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Of course, Pete Townsend of the Who started the trend among rock bands of
using the Union Jack as a logo/icon.  In 1965, the same year The Who first
appeared on the British TV show Ready, Steady, Go playing their hit single
"I Can't Explain", he started draping the British flag over his Vox amps and
then later his Marshall speaker cabinets.  Pete Townsend also had a jacket
made from a Union Jack.  The Who's use of the British Flag became an icon to
the Mod movement in England in the mid 60's.  As a bit of reverence to the
Who, neo-mod rockers The Jam draped Union Jacks over their amps in the late
70's when they first appeared on British TV.  Just a bit of history from an
old Who fan.  Regards, Greg
76 TR6
68 MGB/GT