Camshaft Front Bearing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Camshaft Front Bearing
From: Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:18:00 GMT
Hi Gang,

Need some experience and wisdom on the front camshaft bearing.

I ordered one... on the assumption that new was good...for my engine rebuild
from TRF and they sent a bearing that was oily dark rusty color all over...
including the contact surface of the bearing.  Thinking it was NG I sent it
back.  It was there last one so I ordered another one from Moss.   They sent
something that looked identical in every way.

Am I missing some wisdom here.  The bearing that came out of the engine had
been painted or anodized in black but the bearing sutface was shiny.  You can
still see the black color in the oilways.  Can one of you experienced guys tell
if this part is OK and how it should be installed.  Does the machine shop have
to hone it to match the new camshaft??

Thanks

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4 CT16260L - Groton, MA