Re: Amphi-car

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Amphi-car
From: "Johnny Storm: International Racing car driver" <hiu06f@bangor.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 13:05:53 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Spitfire List <spitfires@autox.team.net>

On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Joe Curry wrote:

> Thanks to everybody who threw their 2 cents worth in
> about that engine.  Apparantly (as I suspected) it was
> a Herald 1147 engine.

  BBC's Top Gear (soon to lose clarkson, shame!), recently did a show on
amphibious cars. They tested the original amphicar, a Dutton Mariner
(first kit from dutton since he made his millions selling the rights to
use 'sierra'!!) and a Countach rep with rover V8(which also came with TV
rights if you wanted to make a series with it?!).

 The Countach filled with steam and water, the dutton 'looked like a car
in the water and a boat when on land...' and the good ole amphicar
Triumphed (ahem!). Sadly they never caught on as they cost the same as
an E-type back in the 60's. The XK-E couldn't touch it in the water
however! when the factory (in germany) when beely-up they gave a car to
everyone who worked there. it would be interesting if you could swap the
1147 for a tuned 1500, or even squeeze a 'six into it........:-)

    Johnny '70 viterald (the sh*t outrigger used to give that 'all at
sea' feeling!)