RE: TR6 Clutch Depression - doh

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6 Clutch Depression - doh
From: Don Guthrie <dglc@netlink.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 20:32:08 +1300
This is a quick followup on a problem I posted before Xmas - a TR6 clutch
which wouldn't disengage.

Thanks to those who offered advice - most said it was probably just the
clutch plate rusted from too long in storage, and that's just what it was.
Even though I've had this problem before some years ago I went way down the
wrong track assuming I had a hydraulics problem after I found the slave
cylinder was leaking fluid. Two lessons from this (which I thought I'd
already learned) 1. Never assume anything. 2. Always try the simple fixes
first.

And for the record (now all these posts are going into on-line searchable
archives) this is what worked for me: jack up the rear (use stands and
chock the front wheels), build up some revs and apply brakes hard with the
clutch in. If the wheels stop before the engine does then it's fixed.

Cheers,
Don Guthrie
Wellington, New Zealand
'74 TR6PI