First time engine start

To: TR250 <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: First time engine start
From: David Brady <dmb@cisco.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:28:11 -0800
I have a TR250 that's been undergoing a body off restoration  for
2 years now and I'll be starting the motor for the first time this coming
week. I have the chassis built up with all new suspension, rebuilt
tranny w/ overdrive, rebuilt differential, and rebuilt engine. I had the
frame and all major suspension components powder coated in
black. I installed nylatron suspension bushings up front (upper and
lower control arms) and also in the rear semi-trailing arms. The
suspension is bolted together with aircraft AN hardware ( I probably
went a little overboard with the hardware but it sure looks great.
I'm running Koni's up front and modified lever arm shocks in the
back, and I'm using springs and front and rear sway bars from Good
Parts. Also, for kicks, I installed a set of vented and cross drilled
rotors up front that I purchased from Ken Gillanders at British
Frame and Engine. Other trick items include the use of Jaguar XJS
ball joints up front, and billet aluminum rack and pinion mounts.

This week I plan to start the motor. That is, if I can get my Rimmer
Bros stainless steel header and exhaust pipe past customs at the
San Jose Airport! I plan to connect a battery to the starter using
a power cutoff switch as my ignition switch. I plugged all the heater
hose outlets and only need to connect the two hoses to the radiator.
A power lead to the coil and a make shift gas tank should do the
trick. One thing I'm not certain of is whether I'll do any harm to the
overdrive by not connecting any of the electrical connections. I
have the tranny in neutral and I have 30wt Kendall GT1 oil in the
engine and the tranny. Does anyone know this plan risks damaging
the overdrive?

Thanks
David Brady
dmb@cisco.com
TR250, New Jersey car purchased from the original owner about
8 years ago.