TR4 front wings

To: Billtr4@aol.com
Subject: TR4 front wings
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:39:42 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Sun, 24 Jan 1999 Billtr4@aol.com wrote:

> I'm restoring TR4 22592L  Pulled the wings and doors off the other nite.
> UGH!  Book shows 3 mounting bolts exterior at the bottom.
> of the front wings. Mine were tack welded.

"So, you think YOUR car's rusty... have I got a web-page for you!"

Scuttlebut on the precinct states that the front wings are supposed to be
held on with 3 bolts (to the rocker panel).  However, I think a lot of
them left the factory held on with tack welds.  Also, it's been 30-odd
years since the fellows at Coventry assembled your car, a lot of things
can happen between then & now.  Body shops have less headaches if they
align the fender permanently (with welds) then do up all the bolts.

My fenders were held on with tack welds (and braze in places) at the top,
and were held on with just-plain-nothing at the bottom.  Tin worm, don'cha
know.

Psst... hey kid... wanna see a really rusty TR4?  Check out:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/

and follow the links to *my* car.  Still in progress (although I'm driving
it at the moment).  I used bolts to hold on both wings, and generous gobs
of asphalt roof stuff to stop the whole works from rattling about.  YMMV.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm