RE: TR6- Has engine been rebuilt before?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: TR6- Has engine been rebuilt before?
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <dynamic@transport.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 07:55:13 -0800
Jeff Nathanson wrote:

>I've removed the engine from my 72 TR6. (what a job!). The
>       first thing I looked at were the thrust washers. To my surprise
>       the oil "slots" were still intact and the washers were about .1"
>       thick. Also the connecting rod and cap did not have a cylinder number
>       stamp on it. However, a number was etched on the rod. I only removed
>       #6. I had good oil pressure, but the compression varied from
>       90 to 125. I'm not too sure about the mileage since the odometer
>       stuck and it presently reading 78K. Any ideas?

Are there any numbers stamped into the crown of the piston on number 6?  Do
they read anything like +.010", +.020", +.030 etc.?  This is a dead
give-away if the motor's been rebuilt.  I was surprised when I pulled the
head off my TR6 12 years ago to find that it already had .030 oversized
pistons in it.  I ended up rebuilding it anyway and sticking .040 oversized
pistons in there.  But, if there are markings like that on the pistons, it
has definitely been rebuilt.  If there's not, then it still could have
been... but perhaps just not very thoroughly or there was really no need to
bore and move to an oversized piston.

I think mine had numbers engraved into the rods, too.  I don't think that's
an indicator.  (done at factory?)  I can't think of any other signs to look
for.

Pete Chadwell
1973 TR6