RE: Speedo Cable Alert

To: Bill Kline <WDKLINE@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Speedo Cable Alert
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 10:41:49 -0500
Bill,  Thanks

I hope that I didn't /won't crush my speedo guts.  I just got a cable from
Moss (OD TR4A) and its inner cable was too long as well.  I had to cut
of about 1/3 inch from the drive end and STILL needed to remove more.
I couldn't take more off due to the fact that I was getting beyond the hard
end
into the flexible cable.

I am going to re-order another one (actually one for a TR6 since I have a
TR6 transmission with angle drive).  Hopefully it will be of correct
length.
My old one which has about 3/8 inch on the speedo end and no more than 3/4
inch
on the drive end.

How did you tell that you had damaged your speedo?

-Tony
Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
From: WDKLINE@aol.com
Subject: Speedo Cable Alert

Beware of replacement speedometer cables coming from Moss and others which
have a core cable that is just a bit too long.  When you tighten down the
ferrel nut, the inner cable crushes the ruby bearing in the speedo which
leads
to an expensive rebuild.  Check the length of the inner cable by pushing
back
the ferrel nut and measuring how far the inner cable protrudes.  Must not
be
longer than 3/8" or you are going to have troubles.

Been there, done that, paid for it (twice).

Bill Kline
<