More Info on Importing Cars from US

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: More Info on Importing Cars from US
From: "Wayne and Debbie Tallack" <tallack@sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 20:16:23 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
Actually, I have some familiarity with importing automobiles as I work for
Customs.

Most of the hurdles of importing a car are not really with Customs but with
complying with Department of Transport aka DOT aka Transport Canada. (How's
that for buck passing) Basically your have to comply with the rules as set
out by the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV)who will issue you a
certificate to import after you pay a fee ($250)and then will follow up to
ensure any required modifications are made.

Your car has to meet various standards but for cars over 15 years old are
exempt from most.

Their web page is at http://www.riv.com

Transport Canada info on importing cars from the US is here
http://www.tc.gc.ca/securiteroutiere/importusa/english/Imind_e.htm

Also depending on which province you intend to register the car may have
other requirements and they may conflict.  For example it appears that
federally a 15 year old car is exempt from most requirements, however, in
Ontario car are not exempt from the new emission control standards until
they are twenty years old.  Most triumphs would obviously be exempt anyway.

Anyway you will need the help/approval of the registrar to get the car in.

There likely isn't any duty or tariff on an old car but I can't remember for
certain.  You will pay GST to enter it and likely PST when you register it.

Hope this somewhat helps.

1972 TR6 CC83984U
http://www.sympatico.ca/tallack
(Page and car both currently under repair)