RE: TR6: oil pressure line replacement opinions

To: "'M. Secrest'" <msecrest@erols.com>
Subject: RE: TR6: oil pressure line replacement opinions
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:11:31 -0700
Cc: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>

I think it would be tricky to do without tipping the dash into the "service
position" (see Bentley). In order to do that, you need to remove the speedo
and tach. This is an easy task (once you have done it you will know what I
mean). Others may have different experiences but I say go by the manual on
this one.

Another thing to consider is that it's probably good to "bleed" the line
before tightening it down on the gauge. I found that a good way to bleed it
is to connect the line to the block and route it through the hole in the
dash where the press gauge goes (gauge removed of course). Loosely connect
the line to the gauge and wrap with a rag. Now crank the engine (bot don't
start it) until you get oil coming out at the gauge -- don't worry, it
doesn't shoot out too strongly. Then quickly tighten it to the gauge by
hand. You will need a wrench to tighten the fitting on the gauge for the
final seal.

I did this last summer when replacing my original black line with a clear
one. I was able to observe the movement of the oil in the line during the
fitting process described above. It is easy to achieve an air free line
following the steps I described.

> I'm also aware there's a tiny leather seal to be found at the gauge
> end of the line.  Practically speaking, is it reuseable?

Probably not depending on the condition. A standard o-ring will easily
replace it. Of course you need to have the line off to know what size o-ring
-- I can't remember off hand. Just make sure the o-ring fits nicely around
the "nipple" on the back of the gauge.

HTH.

--- Peter Zaborski  CF58310UO ---