re-intro

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re-intro
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 99 17:42:06 -0800
Hi Everyone!

I have been off the Triumph mail list for a couple of years and have just
signed back up.

I thought I would write a short intro for those of you who have joined
the list since I left and just say Hi to the "old timers"

My name is TeriAnn Jennifer Wakeman (TJW not TAW).  I live near Santa
Cruz, California.

I'm an off and on member of Triumph Travelers Sports Car Club.

I own two cars.  My old car is a 1960 Land Rover 109 that I've owned
since 1978.  My new car is a 1961 Triumph TR3A (TS75519L) that I've owned
since 1986.

I joined the original British car mail list back in late '86 or early '87
when the list had less than 25 members and the group was unnamed.

Regarding the name.  Someone suggested Sons of Lucas (SOL).  I countered
with the name Daughters of Lucas and Scions of Lucas became the
compromise name for the members of the mail group.

In early 1989 I took my yet unnamed TR3 off the road for a few months to
spruce it up.  I planned to rebuild the engine, front suspension and
install a new interior.  Well as I removed parts from my car (which was
freshly painted just before I purchased her) I discovered additional
problems.  It seemed a new problem appeared each time I took a part off.
A member of the original mail list first coined the term "Ship fitter's
disease" to describe my reaction to the problems I found.

When the Triumph mail list split off from the original British car list,
I was one of the charter members of the new list.

During my rebuild I renamed my car "The once and Future TR3"  As it turns
out the dreaded previous owner wire brushed the rust then bondoed and
painted over it.  I finally reached the point where I decided to take all
the paint off and discovered the second rustiest TR3 I had ever seen.
When I was hunting for a TR I passed up TR3s with less rust thinking they
were best off scrapped for the very few usable parts remaining.

Rebuilding the car has been a trail and I have left off to do other
things for periods of time when the work got too overwhelming.  I lost
interest about two years ago and even unsubscribed from this list.  But
even then I occasionally would do a little something.

10 years from when I decided to take the car off the road for a few
months I started bringing her back onto the road and shaking out the
rebuild bugs.

It was interesting taking her out after driving the Land Rover for so
long.  The Land Rover accelerates 0 to 60 same day.  Assuming no major
head winds of uphill sections.  The TR3  accelerates 0 to 60 same minute.
 Since I could no longer call her the Once and future TR3 I have renamed
he in honor of this experience.  I now call her "The Pocket Rocket".

I'm still ringing out the bugs and have a few parts left to install but
she looks like a car and goes like "a bat outa hell"  I'll have to add a
section to my web site describing the engine.

So anyway, Hi everyone!

TeriAnn Wakeman                                  Border to Border
Santa Cruz, California                          Expedition Society
twakeman@cruzers.com                           "Live the adventure"
http://www.cruzers.com/~twakeman           http://www.bordertoborder.com