RE: Route 66 (little LBC content)

To: "'Tom Gentry'" <tgentry@execpc.com>, "'Triumphant Ones'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Route 66 (little LBC content)
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 14:32:48 -0600charset="iso-8859-1"
Tom Gentry wrote:

> Does anyone have a source of Route 66 info they could share.  I'm
particularly
> interested in modern maps showing where the bits of old Route 66 are.

There is no shortage of information on Route 66, old and new. Classic
Motorbooks in Osceola WI has a number of books and pamphlets, some comparing
the old road with it's current status on a mile-by-mile basis.

An internet search engine will get you to the more than a dozen web sites
devoted to Route 66 and "Yahoo! Maps" (http://maps.yahoo.com/yahoo/) will
get you a free current map.

Among the books currently available are:

Route 66; Spencer Crump; Published 1997
Route 66 : The Highway and Its People; Quinta Scott, Susan Croce Kelly; Pub
1990
Route 66 : The Illustrated Guidebook to the Mother Road; Bob Moore, et al
Route 66 : The Mother Road; Michael Wallis; Published 1990
Route 66 Across New Mexico : A Wanderer's Guide; Jill Schneider, D. Nakii;
Published 1991
Route 66 Remembered; Michael Karl Witzel; Published 1996
The Route 66 Traveler's Guide and Roadside Companion (1995); Tom Snyder;
1995
Antique Roads of America, Bicycle Guide for Route 66; Dan Mahnke; Published
1992
Behind The Wheel...On Route 66; Howard Suttle; Published 1996
Traveling The...New, Historic Route 66 of Illinois; John Weiss; Published
1997
Route 66 : The Five Year Diary of a Journey Across America; David Wilde;
1991
Terrence Moore's Route 66; Published 1983

There's even "The Route 66 Cookbook" by Marian Clark and Michael Wallis.

Seems to me that the Healey folk did a Route 66 tour last year . . .

Jim Hill
Madison WI