Re: How many GT6's have overdrive?

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: How many GT6's have overdrive?
From: Bill and Sal Birney <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 09:55:55 +1100
Cc: Cwn74@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Barry et al,

With reference to the below;
>You should
>also consider changing the rear end to the 3.89 diff that overdrive
>equipped cars had as the 3.27, which is what most of the non-overdrive cars
>had is a little tall for overdrive (ask some of the British listers if they
>like their's as I believe some of the UK spec overdrive cars had 3.27
>ratios), plus you get the added acceleration that the lower gears provide
>coupled with relaxed highway cruising.

I have an overdrive box, and the 3.27 diff, in the GT6+. I don't have the
advantage of the low gearing for the initial acceleration - however for
highway cruising the extra long legs are very nice (about 65mph at
2500-2600 rpm).

The GT6 (in non strangled form) has plenty of punch to cope with the gearing.

The combination of the 3.89 and o/d just gets you to the same gearing as
the non-o/d cars at the top end (of course with lower intermediate gearing).

Bill

Bill and Sal Birney
Melbourne, Australia

'67 Spitfire  MkII - Under resto