Re: How many GT6's have overdrive?

To: Cwn74@aol.com
Subject: Re: How many GT6's have overdrive?
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 06:43:16 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>How many GT6's came fitted with overdrive?
*****************************
Well, mine has one, but I fitted it myself -
*****************************
>Are they rare or common?
****************************
If I remember correctly (good possibly I didn't), in one of the books I
read most or a major share of GT6's had them. . .
****************************
>I've not seen any myself and posts looking to buy keep specifying overdrive,
****************************
You don't need a GT6 specific overdrive as any J or D type will work.  You
will however need a GT6 specific tranny with the appropriate
adapter/mainshaft/and mounting plate and driveshaft (or have yours
shortened to fit) to put one in a car that didn't already have one, plus
the additional wiring, switches, and relays to do it properly.  You should
also consider changing the rear end to the 3.89 diff that overdrive
equipped cars had as the 3.27, which is what most of the non-overdrive cars
had is a little tall for overdrive (ask some of the British listers if they
like their's as I believe some of the UK spec overdrive cars had 3.27
ratios), plus you get the added acceleration that the lower gears provide
coupled with relaxed highway cruising.  Putting in the J type overdrive in
mine, and swapping the diff was the best mod I did to my GT6!  If you have
to have a car that originally had an overdrive, look for an "O" at the end
of the commission number, indicating a factory installed overdrive.  Of
course, an unscrupulous seller could just create a new commission plate(s)
with that stamped on it. . .

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)