Rear Wheel noises....

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Rear Wheel noises....
From: Tom Howard <howard@lsschools.k12.ca.us>
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:20:25 -0800
Cc: "'thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us'" <thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us>
Well I have been using my GT6 as a daily driver for a bit too long it
seems.

This week I am getting intermittent noise from the rear end.   It only last
for a few seconds, but when there is sounds bad.

The sound is like a bunch of square ball bearings in the hub.  A definite
rumble with a definite feeling in the seat of the pants to go with it.
 Very clear.  I think that the car is actually being slowed down by the
manifestation.   But... the sound only last for a few seconds every few
miles, and usually at low speed.  (I did hear, and feel, it once today at
about 40 mph.)

I have examined the RotoFlex, and the U joints on the axles.  Nothing
apparent.   The left rear wheel has a bit of play when jacked up and push
from side to side.

What do you all think the best place to start my search?

The sound is such that I have to cease driving.  I am fearful that perhaps
one of the outer journals is spinning, doing damage to the adjacent metal.

===

A related issue:  What is the typical lifetime of RotoFlex units?   Say in
total miles of vigorous driving with 87 hp.

Tom Howard
'72 GT6 (and a good bit of USA iron)