Re: Seat Belts

To: Brad Kahler <brad.kahler@141.com>
Subject: Re: Seat Belts
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 22:54:15 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Brad Kahler wrote:

> Have any of you used the "Inertia Reel Seatbelts" that both Moss and VB
> sells?  I'm need to install some seatbelts in my TR4 and would like 3-point
> belts that have the inertia setup.  The one comment made by the VB sales
> rep when I asked about them is they have to be mounted vertically.
> Looking at the picture in the add I'm not real sure just how they would be
> mounted.

I think the reel goes on the "parcel shelf", with the ouput of the reel
going straight up.  Then it goes up to an anchor in the inner fender, over
your shoulder to the buckle.

Because inertia-reel belts are expensive, I opted for static(3pt) ones.
And perhaps I have gorilla arms, but I find that with a "fistful of room"
in the belt, I can easily reach everything but the glovebox (which isn't
there anyway) and the window crank (which is under my leg)  Plus you can
yank it up real tight for when you want to do some "spirited" driving.

The only beef I have is that it's hard to adjust for different passengers.
My side is fine (NOBODY drives my car but me), but it's something to think
about if you offer rides to cute members-of-opposite-sex.

You may also want to look into RX-7 seat belts.  They are a bolt-in
replacement for the TR6 (I think).  You'd need to weld a plate on the
inner fender (near the parcel shelf...), and you'd have to pick up a set
from a junker RX, and have them re-webbed (for strength and color).
Personally I would not go this route, as seat belts are not something to
play chicken with.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm