Triumph Dolomite

To: <d.carvolth@cat.csiro.au>
Subject: Triumph Dolomite
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 16:48:08 -0000
Cc: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
>Recently I've seen several references to a '39 Triumph Dolomite.  I
know
>there was a Dolomite model sold in the UK in the sixties or
seventies, but I
>can find no particular reference to this earlier model.  The Classic
and
>Sports Car values section doesn't list it and I don't seem to have
anything
>in the personal library.
>
>Were they imported into this country?  (USA) How many were made?
How rare
>are they now?  Anybody have a URL for a picture?

They only made a handfull, they were race cars and straight 8's if
memory
serves me. They are incredibly beutiful cars and VERY expensive now.
The
70's dolomite was named after them, like the alfetta was named after
a pre
war racer and so many other nuovo cars....and bikes...nuovo saturno
anyone....

I'll risk a few flames because I've got my facts wrong. AFAIK, there
are only two left. One of them is pictured in a recent Triumph book -
I think by Robson - but I can't remember its title. The other is in
private ownership in the UK and was on display at Gaydon for the 75th
Anniversary last May. I drooled over it - even though, IMHO the owner
ought to be shot for keeping such a rare classic in such a mediocre
state. Bodywork wasn't brilliant and oil leaks everywhere. However,
its background. Yes a straight 8 (size I can't remember.)
I think I'm right in saying the car was constructed under the
supervision (maybe even the design of Donald Healey) and three were
made, though I think there were six chassis finished and five engines
in total. In one of these cars, Healey had a race with a train to a
level crossing (in France?) - and lost, so that saw off his car. The
remaining two are the ones referred to in the book and the one seen
at Gaydon. I think I'm also correct in saying the remaining two
engines and three chassis remained at the Triumph factory (unbuilt -
because of Triumphs money problems) and then were finally seen off by
one or more German bombs in the Blitz on Coventry during the war.
It's a beautiful beautiful car, rather like a shorter and narrower
version of an SS100.

John Mac