GT+ Chassis stiffness

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: GT+ Chassis stiffness
From: Windoseat@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 17:58:52 EST
Hi, Listers;

One of my Christmas gifts was a book on the new Miata MX5. Now, before you
start stoning me let me explain. One section dealt withy the changes that were
made to the original chassis to increase the structural rigidity. I was
wondering how the structural rigidity of a Spitfire or GT6 would compare to
the Miata. They all have a separate chassis and bolt on body. I would assume
the GT6 gets extra rigidity from the fastback structure. Has anyone ever seen
any test data of the Spitfire or GT6? Any comments or opinions?

The Miata has an aluminum structure that joins transmission and the rear
suspension structure. I believe that the Herald type frame is more rigid since
it is a continuous structure (no brakes or joints from front to back).

The new MX5 also has a Thorsen limited slip diff. It's made in the United
States and looks a lot like a Quaife. Maybe they have one that might fit a
Spitfire or GT6 diff. Anyone ever dealt with these people?

Another interesting fact is that the Japanese version of the new Miata has a
six speed gearbox that fits in the same space as the original 5 speed. Anyone
contemplating mating a Miata gearbox to a Triumph engine?

Hey, I can't help thinking about such things! "Ian" my GT6+ is dismantled in
the garage, there is 14" of snow on the ground, and I broke my ankle last
Monday evening. Looks like it's going to be a long winter and my only
diversion will be corresponding with you folks.

Greg Wolf
1970 GT6+  "Ian"
KC/79746-L
A2, Michigan