carbs a leakin

To: triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: carbs a leakin
From: "Arthur H. Smith" <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 17:14:55 -0500
Art Kelly:
 You say the carb was a leakin from the plug area, that's normal albeit
undesirable. What kind of rubber is the o-ring you bought made of? Some of
the new gasoline mixtures will eat up some rubbers. In my last post I
mentioned re building the engine in my Jag, well that has led me to move my
company toward the automotive gasket business. One R&D item I have going is
a test of a die cut o-ring gasket made from a rubber called VITON sealing
the bottom of a Stromberg float bowl. That's because the first test with
neoprene failed and the same happened with nitrile (buna-n) rubber.

Just because its an automotive o-ring don't mean a lot, it could be an oil
seal and when the gas eats it  Viola 'gas leak.'   Don't get me wrong you
may have a viable gasket but its best to check and make sure its a ‘good'
rubber rather than ‘fair'.

The arthur
82 XJ6 research vehicle
69 GT6 in many many boxes