Triumph Italia

To: "'Triumphs List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Triumph Italia
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 16:42:15 -0500
Hopefully there are some Italia experts out there.  I'm interested in buying
an Italia and am trying to learn as much as I can about them so I don't
choose the wrong car or pay too much. I understand that there were only 329
built and only an estimated 60 are still in existence (at least that's what
I was told).  I'm looking at one now that needs complete restoration
(naturally).  It has some rust.  It needs new floors and sills.  It also
needs rust repairs in the wheel arch lips, lower front fenders, and along
the bottom edge of the trunk lid.  Its missing the windshield (which the
seller says can be purchased from a custom windshield shop he knows of for
about $600 to $800).  The thing actually runs (sort of) but really needs to
be completely redone.  The only pieces that appear to be missing are the
left headlight assembly including trim ring, bumper over riders, and
windshield. Everything else is there even if not in great shape.  My biggest
concerns are trying to repair and fabricate body (like the sills), trim, and
interior parts that do not exist anywhere.  If anyone knows of any parts
source for the Italia (the non-TR3 parts, that is) or has had any experience
with this car, please let me know.  I'm also trying to establish what one is
worth both finished and in the condition described above.  Or if anyone
knows of one for sale, let me know.
Thanks, Greg