RE: POR 15 vs. Extend

To: "'Philip E. Barnes'" <peb3@cornell.edu>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: POR 15 vs. Extend
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 13:57:35 -0600
I have also used Extend over the years and it's a good product.  According to
the POR-15 literature, it works a little differently.  It doesn't "convert" the
rust as Extend does, it simply acts as an impenetrable barrier to moisture and
oxygen, unlike other paints.  Of course with no oxygen available, iron oxide
(rust) cannot form or spread.  It is cured by moisture, not oxidation as most
other paints are.

Having said all that, I have never used POR-15, but I do intend to try it on my
frame soon.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive rusty cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra Mystic #1345 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (highly modified)
'59 Triumph 10 Sedan (in boxes)