Wiper operation--spitfire

To: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Wiper operation--spitfire
From: r-james@tamu.edu
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 99 11:19:50

Barry Swartz asks...

>Can anyone tell me what the correct wiring for the operation for the wiper
>motor is...<SNIP>
>
>....This is where it gets fuzzy.
> To park the wipers one unswitches the power lead from the fast or slow
>wire(s), and then you switch or connect (either /or?) the fast or slow lead
>to ground to complete the cycle and finish the cycle.... <snip>

Barry:

I don't think you need to switch the wiper lead to ground to
accomplish the park operation; I think the mechanism inside the wiper
gearbox accomplishes the parking;  that is, when you open the power switch,
power
remains on some terminal until the wiper reaches the park position, when
the circuit is opened by the park-mechanism inside the gearbox (this all just
from memory of a dismantling more than a year ago.)   I'll bet if you
are grounding the wiper lead, you are going to cause some problem (I would
expect
a blown fuse) in the circuit.  The wiper motor continues to be driven after
the switch is open, so there is a hot (unswitched) wire somewhere in there, I'll
wager, that is switched only by the park mechanism.

You can take the lid off the gearbox pretty easily, as I recall.  Be careful
to note how it is assembled to allow successful reassembly,.  Clean and
lubricate
the gears, and inspect the operation of the park mechanism.  All will become
clearer (including your windscreens!) then.

Good luck,
Ray
Ray W. James, P.E., Ph.D.
Texas Transportation Institute