Alternator current limiting

To: Dan Masters <DANMAS@aol.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Alternator current limiting
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 10:33:54 -0500
Dan, thanks for saying that my idea of using one function of the stock regulator
on an aftermarket alternator conversion (in my case, a TR4A) was NOT crazy.
For those who did not see the original post, I wanted to use a modern
alternator while
still keeping my stock ammeter (and having it read charge as well as discharge)
without
frying the original wiring of the car designed for 20-something amps max output.

I thought that the alternator output could be routed to the original voltage
regulator,
but only the current limiting functions would be used.  One problem here is
that I
have NO IDEA exactly how the field coils of the alternator are powered.  There
may
be some internal wiring inside the alternato for the field wiring.  BUT it might
be possible to intercept the wire going to the field coils and route it through
the
regulator in the following way. You will be ruining the regulator for original
use,
so you might want to use a spare.

The theory is that you only want to use the current regulating function of the
voltage/current regulating relay.  The cut-out relay will not be used, nor will
the
voltage regulation function of the first relay..  The alternator
output is passed through the heavy windings on the voltage/current regulator
relay
coil then on to the rest of the car.  The regulator contacts of the relay will
control the field coil's current by cutting-in the resistor into the field
circuit if the alternator current output is too high.

Here is my off-the cuff way of making this happen........
Cut the heavy wire coming off the windings of the cut-out relay coil and
wire it directly to terminal D.  Remove the original wire going from terminal D
to the main frame.  Now the alternator output is going through the
voltage/current
regulator relay only, and is not going to the frame.  Terminal A will have the
regulated
output to the car's main wiring harness.

Cut all light-gage wires going to both relay windings.  This deactivates the
unused relay functions.

The wire to the field circuit of the alternator should be connected to terminal
F.

The wire from the alternator which USED to go to the field circuit should be
routed to the main frame of the regulator.

I have not figured out how to deal with the ignition warning lamp.

Dan, what do you think of this.  Scathing criticism is heartily encouraged!

-Tony
ARhodes@compuserve.com