Re: alternator current limiting

To: "INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com" <Brad.Kahler@141.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: alternator current limiting
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:16:39 -0500
Message text written by INTERNET:Brad.Kahler@141.com
>I'm not sure what purpose you're serving by setting the cutout to lower
the =

alternator output.  Seems that you might as well stick with the generator=

in =

that case.  Of course I might be misinterpreting what you're getting at
here!
<

Well, I am being a bit picky.  I want to have my cake and eat it too!
I want the high output of an alternator AND the ammeter AND to avoid
smoking my wiring.

My concern about a raw alternator is that it will do too good a job and
melt my wires if my battery is low.  However, I want the reliability of t=
he
alternator.  In addition, I HATE seeing my ammeter go to discharge while
idling.
I'd like to have an alternator which (I think) can maintain a reasonable
output even at low rpms.  I think I can live with 20-something amps outpu=
as long as it will do it even at idle.  I'd rather not re-wire my harness=

nor
lose the charge side of my ammeter function.  =

I think I can attain all these goals by limiting the alternator output...=
..
Maybe I am horribly wrong (probably am)!
-Tony