What??

To: TR List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: What??
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:07:21 -0500
Cc: Arthur Smith <arthurhsmith@compuserve.com>
Arthur H. Smith writes:

>something else from the Jag list................

>("Nissan engineers have patented a formula for artificial bird
>droppings. Used to test paint, it has the same corrosive properties as the
>original, but "offers greater consistency between samples."") !!!???  You
>can't make this stuff up. ;-P

>OK but then some one in this list said to find a vacuum leak "or one can
>use an unlit propane torch,".

>excuse me while I go sit way, way, way, waaaaaaayyyyyy   over there.
>"r u nutz?????????"

That was me.  Let me explain my credentials.  I worked for several
years at a plant that manufactured aerosol insecticides.  Like almost
every other aerosol marketed in the US they use porpane as a
propellant.  We had 4 500 gallon and 2 1000 gallon tanks filled with
liquid propane.  I underwent many hours of safety training in the
handling of flamable gasses.  I understand UEL and LEL (upper
explosive limit and lower explosive limit) and gas densities and
pooling.

Using an unlit propane torch to find vacuum leaks is far safer than
using flamable liquids such as carb cleaner or starter fluid because
once the propane leaves the torch tip it quickly mixes with air and
the mixture falls well below the lower explosive limit and WILL NOT
burn.  This is especially true when the torch is set to a low flow
rate.  Spraying a flamable liquid onto a manifold invites puddles
which can burn quite easily and quickly.

If you don't feel comfortable using propane around your engine then
I suggest you don't.  But don't feel comfortable using starter fluid
either.  In fact, consider draining all that explosive gasoline, too.
Do you know how much stored chemical energy is in a 12 gallon tank of
gasoline?

Dave Massey